Monday, December 3, 2012

Beneath the Moon and Stars

A couple of weeks ago, I made plans to take Matty on a little adventure. One of the professors at RUSVM takes groups for stand up paddleboarding trips every month when the moon is full. (I believe that he also takes other groups during the daytime.) Since we don't have much time left in St. Kitts, I decided that this was something we should try to fit into our schedules before we leave. I mean, who knows when the next chance to do something like this will be?

We met our group down at The Strip on Thursday at 7:45 p.m. Once we figured out the logistics, we piled into our cars and headed to Whitehouse Bay to begin our night time fun. Matthew and I have never paddleboarded before, so I won't lie—I was a little nervous. I wasn't sure if I'd have the balance, and I definitely didn't want to fall in. You know...because it's dark out. And we're in the ocean. However, Dr. Spac gave us a short, but helpful tutorial and sent us on our way with glow sticks. And guess what?! Matty and I did a pretty good job; we were able to keep up with our group and we never fell in. Thank the lord! (I highly doubt something awful would happen, but you just never know what's swimming below you...muhahaha.) ;)

It took us about 1.5 hours to paddleboard from Whitehouse Bay all the way to The Strip. The moon guided our way, and it was beautiful to see the moonlight illuminating SK's rolling hills and lush landscape. At one point, we were able to sit on our boards as the current pulled us in, which was nice because we could finally relax a bit, and enjoy the beautiful view of the big bright moon and the shining stars, (without losing balance and risking a fall-in). 

I didn't bring my camera because it isn't water-proof, but Bess was kind enough to bring hers and take a few pics.

Nick, Matty, and Frank
Stand up paddleboarders in action...
Sitting around and enjoying the view of the shining stars above.
Our group.
We made it!


The entire trip was incredible, and I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment