Monday, March 28, 2011

It's No Meijer

You would think that since I live on a tropical island, I would be stuffing my face with exotic fruits on a daily basis. Well, that is so not the case. Since being in St. Kitts, I could probably count on my little hand how many items I've consumed fruit. Crazy, I know. The reasoning for this is listed below.

A) Insanely high prices: In Michigan, I could go to Meijer and pay $5 US for two packs of strawberries or $1 US for a cucumber. 

B) Freshness of produce: Even if I were to find something "on sale," the condition of the produce is usually questionable. 

However, thanks to another VIP, Jessie Heller, I feel like I've just won the lottery. She informed me of a fruit/veggie market that is open on Mondays and Saturdays only. They have produce that has been imported from Dominica. HOORAY!!! Our first trip involved purchasing a papaya, a coconut, three grapefruits and one cucumber. How much did we spend? LET ME TELL YOU: $11EC = $4US 

SCORE!!

Market 

There's Matthew, perusing someone's produce.





2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I def need to go here! Cheap and delicious...the perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you should. We'll make a field trip out of it. :)

    ReplyDelete