Sunday, January 23, 2011

Morning Person? I Think...NOT.

Today I woke up to the sun forcing its rays through my bedroom window. I hesitantly opened my eyes, rolled over, and muttered, "It had better not be before 8:00 a.m., and if it is—I'm putting my eyeshades on and I'm going back to sleep!"

In St. Kitts, the sun seems to rise at 6:00 a.m., so it's actually difficult to sleep away the early mornings. I'm not one to respond well to alarm clocks (who is?), but my body does seem to respond to the amount of light that fills a room, as opposed to the amount of time I've spent sleeping. In the Mitten, I could sleep until 10:00 a.m., easy. Here, it's not even a mere 6:30 a.m., and I'm up and ready to begin my day. I know that this is really benefiting me in the long run...but I just feel cheated somehow. :-P

Anyway, I did put my eyeshades back on, but only for a minute after realizing it was a lost cause. Thankfully, it was at least 7:15 a.m. I begrudgingly rolled out of bed, ate my breakfast (thanks to Mateo), threw on my bathing suit, and hopped into the Suzuki. Our destination: North Friars Beach, on the Atlantic side of the island. Our guest: Pumba, our landlord's dog. I guess Mateo usually heads to this beach with him on Sundays, so off we went.

I am please to report that it ended up being quite the treat, regardless of how early I had gotten up. I absolutely loved this beach, and plan on going every Sunday, if given the chance. The riptide is very strong---even dangerous---so it's sternly suggested that one does not swim at this beach. I was okay with this. The aggressive waves added to the beauty of this shoreline, as did the black rocky formations.

Pumba, Matthew, and I---despite being woken up far too early for my Mitten standards---had a wonderful time.



Welcome to North Friars Beach.











No comments:

Post a Comment