Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Finally...Vitamin D.

I arrived on the island on Saturday, and today was my first trip to the beach. When I chatted with one of my friends last night, she exclaimed, "GAWD. If I were you, I'd have 3rd degree burns already. Get your butt to the beach!" I didn't disagree with her.

She was oh so right. I needed to get into the sunshine and into the ocean. At about 9:30 a.m. this morning, I decided today would be the day. I had been previously invited to a cookout hosted by one of the VIPs (group consisting of spouses/significant others of Ross students), and I had intended on going, but two things stood in the way.

1) I've been trying to adjust to the water here, and although I've been progressing, my stomach has been a little...sensitive. Going to a cookout to meet other VIPs for the first time seemed like a recipe for disaster---considering my touchy tummy.

2) The beach seemed like less pressure.

So I called Emily, the wife of one of Matthew's fellow classmates that I had met on Sunday, and invited her to join me. After we sorted out our schedules, I started to walk the 20 minutes to the Marriott. Once I met up with Emily, we made our way through the luxurious building and onto the sandy beach.

The Atlantic Ocean was calling my name and sun was shining high in the sky. After picking out a blue and white-painted hut and two beach chairs, we began our vitamin D synthesis.

IT. WAS. HEAVENLY.

Eventually we made our way to the water and let the waves drift us along while we chatted about our new adventures in St. Kitts. The ocean could not have been more clear or more aqua blue. It was amazing, and I can't wait to go again. Thankfully I lathered up in SPF 55, so I'll probably be able to go again tomorrow. Perhaps I'll try the Caribbean Sea, just to make sure I'm giving each body of water a fair shot.

Aren't those little huts adorable??

These are some palm trees I took a snapshot of on my way to the Marriott.


1 comment:

  1. LADY IN RED!

    sounds like fun! Wish I could be there hanging out in the waves with you! But Im not.. Im stuck in this winter wonderland.. Have fun! Ill talk to you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete