Sunday, January 23, 2011

Beach Volleyball

TGIF—that's what most of the students were saying on Friday. After slaving away all week at school and filling their already-full brains with more and more information, they were ready for the weekend. Who can blame them, what with their rigorous schedule?

When Mateo arrived home from school, we headed to Timothy's Beach to hang out with our friends Michaelene, Nicole, and a ton of other Ross students.

On Fridays the students play against each other in volleyball tournaments on the strip at Timothy's. Since neither Matthew or I are volleyball-savvy, we soaked up the sun...and had a few beers too.

After we did our fair share of rooting for Matthew's friends, we headed over to Ackey Cafe. There, we dined with about ten other people. It was a beautiful evening to share with good people. I loved it. Matthew and I often find ourselves in company of people we don't know, and I thoroughly enjoy it. I soak up as many facts as I can from each person I meet. I love learning about where each person is from, what semester the person is in, what he/she loves most about the island, etc. The mentality down here is very group-friendly with intentions to share and give. I usually joke and say it's very similar to "summer camp." I suppose when you're in a foreign country and most of the students you meet are from the US, there's a simple bond that ties you back to "home." The dynamic is very family-oriented. I love it.

Jacob, Taylor, and Zack's team. Professionals, I tell you.

Here I am---not playing volleyball. I have other hobbies. :)

1 comment:

  1. oh i would love to play beach volleyball... yup.. thats it.. im coming down

    ReplyDelete