Wednesday, February 15, 2012

{Conversations}

Every Wednesday, I head to RUSVM's Prepatory School as a volunteer---to participate in their after school program. At 3:10 p.m., I teach "arts and crafts," to students 4th grade and up. It's been...an interesting experience for me. Definitely entertaining, definitely funny, and definitely a bit chaotic. The following {Conversation} happened this afternoon. At 2:15 p.m., I collected my supplies, removed my pajamas that I had been wearing all day, and threw on proper I-need-to-look-professional-but-it's-hot-and-I-live-in-the-Caribbean-so-I-have-very-few-options-so-I'm-wearing-appropriate-length-shorts-and-a-plain-shirt clothes. I threw my 'beachy', aka not-brushed hair into a ponytail, ran my fingers through the top for a little volume, and left the house.

Me: Alright, I have already provided strips of fabric for each of you, so please pick one.
Charlotte: Miss Catherine?
Me: Yes?
Charlotte: Your hair is really messy.
Anonymous Teacher: Charlotte! What goes on in that head of yours? You can't just say things like that out loud! Jeez!
Me: Oh, Charlotte. You must be looking out for me. Making sure I look good, right?
Charlotte: [Blank Stare]
Me: Well, some of us like to look a little disheveled...it's a style thing.
Charlotte: [Blank Stare]

So I sat there, trying to distract them with the project at hand, all while using my magical mental powers to try and smooth out my hair a bit, so as not to further offend anyone. 

2 comments:

  1. lol... kids nothing if not honest. At least you handled it well haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you've come with your hair all braided nice and smoothed out the last couple of weeks. Tee hee.

    ReplyDelete