Saturday, February 18, 2012

Valentine's Day

Matthew and I don't put a lot of effort into Valentine's Day. Mostly, we think it's a bit of a 'Hallmark Holiday,' so we don't get too revved up about it. I'd like to say that we're mindful of each other every day, or at least a majority of the time.

However, I loooooove all kinds of holidays, and I can't help but pay at least a little bit of attention to each one. If we were back in the states, I most likely would have decorated for Valentine's Day and handcrafted a card...and I probably would've gotten my dogs a few toys from the $1 Spot at Target.

So anyway, my point is that I don't ever expect us to do anything 'special' for said holiday.

But this year, Matty made dinner reservations at Serendipity Restaurant in Basseterre, unbeknownst to me. What a lovely surprise! I had never eaten there before, and I thought it was pretty thoughtful that he take me somewhere new. Matthew also gave me a gold necklace with a very sparkly sea star charm. As obsessed as I am with star-like sea creatures, I LOVE(D) it!!

We had a really nice time that evening, and the view of Basseterre Bay was really pretty. There was also a cruise ship docked at Port Zante, and its lights were lighting up the sky.

In addition, we met a woman who went to RUSVM 20 + years ago! Every year, she and her husband come to visit for a week. We chatted with her for a little bit, and she wished Matthew well in his last few semesters.

Best part of the night? The restaurant's female employees' reaction when Matthew walked in with a pink-and-white striped tie. He received a lot of attention and was voted, "Best Valentine of the Night." I may or may not have been jealous of all the attention he was getting. I'm cute too!

Weirdest part of the night? Having to cover my face and mouth with a LIME hanky while riding around in the Green Destiny, (our car). The muffler system was...not working, and the exhaust was quite potent. At least we were able to get a funny photo out of the deal. :)





I wasn't kidding.

1 comment:

  1. So cool! I like his tie too, but your lime scarf is the winner.

    ReplyDelete