Saturday, June 23, 2012

Stacey Visits Saint Kitts

I met my friend, Stacey, at Grand Valley State University in 2003. We lived next door to each other in the teeny tiny dorms on-campus, and became fast friends. Almost ten years later, we've maintained our college-initiated friendship, with quite a lovely history---if you ask me. We've been roommates, involved in each other's weddings as bridesmaids, and we've even worked together. However, these days we're forced to watch each other grow and experience life from afar...literally. 

After Stacey was married, she and her husband moved to Ohio, bought a house, and had a baby. A few years after Matthew and I were married, we up and moved to the Caribbean. While our lives have gone in completely different directions, it's always been easy for us to pick up wherever it was we last left off. So, when Stacey said she was planning on coming to visit me in St. Kitts, I was ecstatic! I hadn't seen her since New Year's Day 2011. I was really looking forward to reconnecting and catching up with her. And that we did!

She arrived on a Wednesday afternoon, and Matthew and I met her at the airport. Unfortunately, I had to go to work from 2:30-5:00 p.m., so I had to part ways shortly after our initial reunion. But don't worry—Matty kept her busy during the few hours I was away, showing her around, and giving her a brief tour. Once I arrived home, I made dinner, and we spent the evening catching up. We chatted about everything: work, school, family, friends, neighbors, sports, books, movies, current likes and dislikes—you name it. It was a great start to her vacation, at least for me. :) 

On Thursday, we spent some time at my friend's gorgeous infinity pool, and later that night we brought Stacey to Bombay Blues for her first Indian cuisine experience. Of course, we ordered her the butter chicken, bismati rice, and butter naan. NOM NOM NOM.

Friday was a busy day, but definitely fun. I brought her to Caribelle Batik at Romney Manor, Palm Court Gardens, Port Zante in Basseterre, and The Strip (for Friday night beach volleyball). We rounded out the night at Reggae Beach Bar for Lobsterfest, where we dined on lobsters the size of our arms!

Saturday was spent at Shipwreck Beach. We soaked up some vitamin D, went snorkeling, and enjoyed the beautiful island views. That night, even though semi-exhausted, we decided to head over to The Marriott. After the tour, we sat at the sports bar and enjoyed a few Caribbean beers, along with the live Calypso-esque music. We also took part in one of our all-time favorite activities: PEOPLE WATCHING. Free entertainment at its best, folks.

On Sunday, Stacey joined me and Matthew at our intramural flag football games. And she even participated! Afterwards, I drove her out to the peninsula to Spice Mill Restaurant. We had lunch, and then admired a lovely view of Nevis while out on our beach chairs. We had a late start to our 'beach day,' but it was still very enjoyable.

Monday was sad. It was sad because she flew off de island that day. But before I dropped her off at the airport and choked back my tears, we enjoyed one last lunch date at the The Marriott's Bohemia Beach Pool Bar & Grille. We even kicked off our shoes, and walked on the beach for a bit.

After lunch, we went back home, and I helped her pack. Then the inevitable arrived, and I had to bring her to the airport. It was a quick goodbye because I couldn't handle much more than a hug and a wave. I sobbed on my way home. Stacey coming all the way to St. Kitts to visit meant so much, and it was like having a small piece of 'home' with me for a few days. I loved being able to show her around, as well as introduce her to our island family and closest friends. We definitely squeezed in a ton of quality time, and I couldn't have been happier. What a blast!

@ Timothy Hill scenic turn-out.




We wear our sunglasses at night.

Stace posing by a Traveller's Palm.

Nice photo...except for Matthew's lovely addition.

Dressed and ready for dinner. 

@ Caribelle Batik

Jurassic Park.

@ Palm Court Gardens 

@ The Strip for Friday night beach volleyball. 

Go, Stace, go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment