Friday, January 27, 2012

OISK!

Only in Saint Kitts...


Recently, Stephanie and I made a trip out to Karron's, a little fabric store in Basseterre. She needed to purchase a few things for a sewing project, (to be explained in a future post), and since I was involved in said project, I tagged along. While in line to purchase her items, Stephanie noticed a funny roll of fabric on a shelf near the ceiling.

Me: Out of curiosity, what is that used for?
Cashier: I don't know, (and now yelling across the store), Heeeey heeeeey! What is that up there? Yeah! That up there! The black thing with metal pieces!!!! What do you use it for?
Other Employee: (Yelling), I don't know!!!! ...And I don't know how much it is either!!
Me and Steph: Yeah, okay. Thanks. Have a great day!


A few days later, Matthew and I went to IGA to pick up a few groceries. When we got in line to pay for our goods, I found it silly that there was a cashier and a designated bagger...who did nothing but stare at me as I basically bagged my own groceries and placed them into my cart to leave. Oh wait---I misspoke. I forgot to mention that the bagger felt the need to give me unsolicited instructions while I was doing her job.


Earlier this week, Matthew brought our car to the gas station. In Saint Kitts, there are gas pumpers, which is actually kind of nice...when they aren't taking the initiative to tip themselves. Matthew asked for 60 EC, and when he started to drive away, he noticed that the attendant only filled the tank up to 50 EC and pocketed the rest.


I can't help but shake my head and roll my eyes.


2 comments:

  1. Dude, just stay clear of the Delta Squad and you'll be fine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, can you give me tips as to how you made your blog so pretty??? I just want to add a twitter button but I don't know how.! I am in medical school on st. kitts and I don't really have the time to research it either! ha... Great Job btw and If you know Kristen (Seans wife from UMHS) She has a great story about getting gas.

    ReplyDelete