Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Celebrity Guest Appearance...in Anatomy Lab?

Mateo unexpectedly invited me to join his group in Anatomy Lab last week. I reluctantly said, "Yeah...okay," and traded in my sandals for a pair of too-big rainboots and a potato-sack-of-a-lab-coat.

I don't really know what I was expecting...I mean—I know what anatomy class involves. But when I walked into the lab room, it wasn't just the formaldehyde that caught me off guard. I suppose I just wasn't prepared for the cadaver dogs. They all laid on their backs, sprawled out, with what I thought looked like snarls on their faces...not to mention their organs were up for investigation by ready-to-slice vet students.

I followed Mateo to his table located near the back of the classroom, and joined his lab partners, Rhiannon and Jackie. And there I sat---for a little over an hour---as they cut through the cadaver dog to locate different parts of the anatomy.

By the end, I had embraced my environment and obtained a small taste of Mateo's weekly lab rituals. It was definitely an interesting experience...




No comments:

Post a Comment