Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Surprised Crafter

As some of you may know, I am a crafter...or as I like to deem myself, a 'surprised crafter' because about a year ago, I didn't even know how to sew on a button. I like to blame my Mommy friends for my newfound talents. They started to get pregnant, so I started to brainstorm what gifts I'd like to purchase for them. Since I was on a buy-local-or-handmade-things kick, I stumbled upon the most wonderful web site in the world: Etsy. How did I manage to live my life prior to this site?

As I was browsing the many baby-related items, my eyes zeroed in on the most adorable little baby hat. It was cream-colored and had a little flower attached to the side. The price was right, and the look was very "posh baby," so I was sold. Then my eyes glanced at the description which stated "crocheted." That's when my brain started to form memories of my late grandmother teaching me the art of crochet about a million years ago. After a few "you can do it," pep talks in my head, I went to the library and checked out two books so I could re-teach myself how to crochet.

Since then, I've dabbled in all sorts of different projects: making tutus and coordinating tulle puff headbands, taggie blankets, felt flower pins/broaches, fabric flowers (which I turn into pins/broaches/hairclips, adorn on headbands, add to dog collars, etc.), necklushes, statement necklaces, table runners, crocheted hats and headbands, and most recently---sewn items like bags and skirts. At one point I was participating in craft shows and selling items on Etsy.

Anyway, I haven't let moving to St. Kitts stop the madness. I packed my mini sewing machine, my crafting materials (including my self-healing cutting mat), and as much fabric as I could fit into the spaces between my clothes and toiletries.

Here's a headband I made a few days after I arrived on the island.





After a few disappointing searches at Port Zante for a slim across-the-body bag, I decided I would find a pattern online somewhere, and make my own. Here's the end result:



I needed a small change purse as well...so I made one.



And since I loved the fabric I used to make my across-the-body bag, I decided to adorn a headband with fabric flower rosettes.



Then I met Erin, another VIP. Eventually the topic of crafting came up, and we immediately scheduled a trip to Basseterre so she could show me where all the main fabric stores were. When one crafter meets another crafter, inspiration and excitement spreads like wildfire. Consider yourself warned.

When we entered Karron's Fabrics, I felt like a kid in a candy store. I could not have been happier to see bolts of fabric lined from floor to ceiling! It was amazing. Although the fabrics aren't what you'd typically find at Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's, I am quite satisfied with their Caribbean-inspired prints.

I made Erin take my photo.

Erin and I stumbled upon a very Caribbean-inspired fabric and bought 2 yards each. I have since made a skirt, and plan on making a table runner for our little coffee table.

I have...no idea why that isn't upright. 

In addition, I tried my hand at these fabric flowers. I have always wanted to make them, but never got around to it...well, now I have, and I love them.



When the skirt and singed fabric flower hairclips weren't enough to satisfy my crafting addiction, I decided to sew all of my scraps of fabric together and make something...crazy. A skirt maybe? Not sure---but the busy patchwork pattern is so cool (or so I think). Stay tuned...



Crafting is a fun world to play in...and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. I love the hours of research I spend obsessing over crafting blogs and finding new challenges. I must say that my favorite thing to create, thus far, are the fabric flowers. They're so versatile and you can literally put a fabric flower on anything...except for your husband or two male doggies. I may or may not have tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment