Tuesday, February 26, 2013

One More Thing...

Well well well, here I am posting on my St. Kitts blog again. Didn't I already wrap things up and say goodbye? Yes, yes I did. So what brings me to post on here today? The answer is Duffy, my roommate's dog. One of her moms recently removed her old SK dog tags, and I couldn't help but laugh when I saw what was on it.

Here it is...



If you lived in St. Kitts, you'll understand that A) we don't really have addresses and B) we use landmarks such as 'a tree full of white birds' to direct people. That's just how things work in SK. And it's quite effective.

The other reason this makes me laugh is because I have had quite the response to my Sea Glass Beach blog post. Numerous Rossies, (students, spouses, etc.), as well as various tourists have emailed me to get directions to this location. Happy to share the beach with others, I have sent specific directions. Most often, I have received replies stating that the tourists were dubious of my step-by-step guidelines at first, but found the beach easily enough and had a fabulous time. What were they most unsure of? Turning left/right in Camps at the tree full of white birds. Of course, I understand why they'd think oddly of this...but as anyone in SK knows, this is a critical step in the directions. Not to mention that the birds are always in that one tree!

Anyway, I just had to share this little anecdote. I ought to head over to my new blog and post something interesting. Cheers!


3 comments:

  1. I know exactly where Duffy lives! Those noisy birds, just before the gas station :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this last post. And I know that tree well! I am a "sort of tourist" -- having been an expat briefly in the late 80's and now an annual visitor. I love reading any blog pertaining to island living, and really have enjoyed following you and your hubby on your journey. The tree in question, really amazed me, when after a 16 year absence, I went on a drive around the island, and spotted that same tree, with the same birds (OK, maybe children, grandchildren, etc. of the birds that I remember), with maybe more houses in the general vicinity. Great post!

    ReplyDelete